December 23, 2022
5 Ways Assisted Living Helps Seniors Gain Independence
How we feel about ourselves is often related, at least partially, to our level of independence, and those feelings can negatively or positively affect us mentally and physically. From learning to walk in childhood to living on our own to having a career and raising a family, independence is seen as integral to happiness and fulfillment in life. Our need to be independent certainly doesn’t lessen as we age, and the fear of losing our independence often makes seniors hesitate to move to assisted living, even when they need help. But what many don’t realize is that assisted living can actually empower independence. Here’s how.
The Reality of Assisted Living
So, what exactly is assisted living? This type of senior living offers support with daily activities such as bathing, grooming, and dressing as needed with nurses and trained caregivers onsite 24/7. It is designed to provide just the right amount of support to help residents live fully. That’s why needing a little help here and there won’t diminish your ability to enjoy an active, social, and engaging life – at least not at GenCare Lifestyle!
In our all-inclusive assisted living communities, you can typically expect these features and amenities for a fulfilling life:
- Spacious studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom floorplans
- 24-hour staffing
- 24-hour fitness center, daily exercise classes, and on-site certified personal trainer
- Personal laundry
- 24-hour Stay Sharp Center with computers and other activities that keep your brain in tip top shape
- Three meals – Flexible, open dining that’s wholesome healthy, and made from scratch with gluten-free, vegetarian, and diabetic-friendly menu options
- Happy hours and live entertainment
- Clubs, seminars, and intergenerational activities
- Transportation services
- Hair Salon
- Movie Theatre
Empowering Independence in Assisted Living
The features above create an environment that empowers independence, and that’s really how they make a difference in the lives of our residents. Specifically, assisted living does so in these ways:
- Giving you freedom – Here, you have less responsibility than at home, with maintenance, housekeeping, laundry, meals, and other daily chores all taken care of for you. With less worry and burden on your shoulders, you can devote more of your time and energy to things that bring you joy and purpose.
- Giving you choice – From a range of accommodations to dining options to amenities to regular social events, classes, clubs, seminars, and intergenerational activities to opportunities for creative expression, group outings, and volunteering, how you live and spend your days is completely up to you in our assisted living communities.
- Helping you with healthy aging – Being healthier can help you maintain your independence, and it’s easy to do in assisted living with us. Our signature Whole Life LivingTM program is a personalized, holistic approach to wellness that puts our belief that healthier living is happier living into action through four facets:
- Eat better - Healthy, fresh, and made-from-scratch meals, including gluten-free, vegetarian, and diabetic options.
- Feel better -Complimentary on-site certified personal trainer and fitness center.
- Think better - Stay Sharp lifelong learning programs.
- Live better - Regular opportunities to pursue purpose.
- Convenience – Another way we empower independence is by having everything you need right outside your door. With all the features and amenities we provide, not to mention locations near shopping, dining, recreation, and all the services you could want, life couldn’t be more convenient here.
- Peace of mind – You’re still in control of your daily care in assisted living. While support is always at hand to help with personal care and medication management from a caring team of experienced nurses and caregivers, you decide how much or as little you want. But just knowing that support is there offers peace of mind that also empowers independence because residents no longer have to call family, friends, and neighbors for help, like at home.
Prepare for the New Year, a new season of life and embrace it with open arms and the confidence of knowing your assisted living services are customized to fit you and your lifestyle. For more information on assisted living at GenCare Lifestyle, contact a community near you, or schedule a tour today.