February 14, 2022
It’s Valentine’s Day! The day we honor and recognize the important people in our lives; those who deserve love just like us. We purchase something special for a loved one or go out of our way to do things that demonstrate how much they mean to us– giving flowers, chocolate, and greeting cards, but why not focus on falling in love with ourselves? It may sound cheesy, but it’s actually a great way to improve your overall health and well-being. When we love ourselves, we have more energy and enthusiasm for life. We’re more positive about everything, even the most mundane tasks. Research shows that being in love has many health benefits, including lowering stress and blood pressure, increasing dopamine and mood, and stimulating oxytocin. How can you give love if you can’t receive love from yourself?
If you’re a senior and your spouse has passed away, it’s especially important to focus on self-love. Losing a loved one can be incredibly difficult, and it’s essential to take care of yourself during this challenging time. Make sure to eat well, get enough sleep, and exercise regularly. In addition, take some time for yourself each day to do something that you enjoy. Maybe read your favorite book, take a walk in the park, or listen to your favorite music. And don’t forget to accept all the love that your friends and family are offering – they want to help!
Focusing on self-love is not only good for seniors who have lost a spouse. It’s great for everyone! We all go through challenging times, and it’s essential to have a healthy relationship with ourselves to cope better. When we love ourselves, we’re more likely to forgive ourselves when making mistakes. We’re more likely to be patient with ourselves during times of stress. And we’re more likely to have compassion for ourselves when things don’t go the way we want them to.
So, for Valentine’s Day, why not try something new? Fall in love with yourself! It may take some time and effort, but it’s worth it. It’s a wonderful way to improve your health and well-being, and it will make you feel better prepared to handle whatever life throws your way.
Here are five ways to fall in love with yourself!
- Indulge in self-care. Take a relaxing bath, get a massage, manicure, or pedicure, read a book… whatever makes you feel great! You deserve it!
- Spend time with friends and family. Treat yourself to dinner or coffee with someone who cares about you and will appreciate your company just as much as you do theirs. Social connections are important at any age!
- Meditate on positive thoughts: What does love mean? How can I show myself more love each day? Who is the most loving person ever known to me & how did they act towards others? What is one thing only I can give the world that no one else can (what would be my gift)? How am I expressing my gratitude today?
- Write down ten things you love about yourself and read them aloud every day. If it’s hard to think of ten, just write down one thing at a time until you have ten! You’ll be surprised how good this makes you feel!
- Set aside some quiet time for self-reflection. Take a walk or sit in nature with no distractions (no phone, TV) for 20 minutes – what do I notice? What does my inner voice say? Make sure there is nothing else going on around me so that all your attention can be focused inwardly.
For more information on how you can live a healthier, happier senior lifestyle at GenCare, schedule a tour today.
Written by GenCare Lifestyle