September 14, 2022
Celebrating the Benefits of Assisted Living DuringNational Assisted Living Week®
According to the National Center for Assisted Living (NCAL), there are currently 28,858 assisted living communities in the United States, and they employ a total of 423, 408 staff members who care for 918,700 residents nationwide. While those numbers may be surprising, assisted living is an increasingly popular senior living option. As part of our National Assisted Living Week® celebration this year, we’re sharing how much residents and families benefit from these communities.
About National Assisted Living Week
Established by NCAL in 1995, National Assisted Living Week provides an opportunity to honor the residents, recognize the value of staff, and educate on all this type of senior living has to offer. At GenCare Lifestyle, we like to think we do this each and every day on all counts, but this week, we’ve stepped it up a notch with a variety of fun activities across our communities that have included:
- Morning aromatherapy massages
- Finger rocket wars
- Staff giving each other dark Hershey Kisses and/or pins toshow appreciation for each other
- Theme days and so much more!
But truly, we couldn’t be more blessed with our fun-loving residents or our team. To have an environment that supports health, happiness, and connection as we do, you have to have a team that embodies that mission too. And our team does that beautifully. They are experienced, professional, caring, and fun! That’s why it’s so easy to feel at home in our warm, welcoming assisted living communities. We love what we do, and it shows in the smiles of our residents, families, and team members daily.
Not to mention our team is also continuously trained, and we utilize a year-round performance management system to ensure the quality of care. We believe all these things are key to our continued increase in the average length of stay in our assisted living communities!
Assisted Living at GenCare Lifestyle
So what exactly is assisted living? It’s a type of senior living that offers support with daily activities such as bathing, grooming, and dressing as needed with nurses and trained caregivers onsite 24/7. It is designed to empower the independence of our residents with just the right amount of support to enjoy all life has to offer. Our assisted living communities feature:
- Luxury studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom floorplans
- 24-hour staffing
- 24-hour fitness center, daily exercise classes, and onsite certified personal trainer
- Personal laundry
- 24-hour Stay Sharp Center with computers
- Three meals – Flexible, open dining that’s wholesome, healthy, and made from scratch with gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan and diabetic-friendly menu options
- Happy hours and live entertainment
- Clubs, seminars, and intergenerational activities
- Transportation services
- Hair Salon
- Movie Theatre
But it’s the benefits that these features provide that really make the difference in the lives of our residents, including:
- Maintenance-free living – Having home maintenance, housekeeping, laundry, and cooking taken care of means residents have less burden on their shoulders and more time to enjoy what they love.
- Convenience – With everything residents need right outside their door, life is so much easier, and they never miss out on anything!
- A focus on healthy aging – We believe a healthier life is a happier life and our signature Whole Life Living a personalized, holistic approach to wellness that puts that belief into action through four facets:
- Eat better -Healthy, fresh, and made-from-scratch meals, including gluten-free, vegetarian,vegan, and diabetic options.
- Feel better -Complimentary onsite certified personal trainer and fitness center.
- Think better -Stay Sharp lifelong learning programs.
- Live better -Regular opportunities to pursue purpose.
- Social connection – Residents never have to worry about being isolated or feeling lonely because, in assisted living, friends, neighbors, and team members are always nearby. Part of what makes our Whole Life Living program so impactful is that it’s grounded in asocially connected environment down to the design of each community. It’s a wayof life that includes regular social events, classes, clubs, seminars, intergeneration alactivities, opportunities for creative expression, group outings, volunteering, and more!
- Peace of mind – For residents in assisted living, support is always at hand to help with personal care and medication management from a caring team of experienced nurses and caregivers. Plus, our communities are designed with features such as emergency alert pendants and secure entries with keycard access. It’s wonderful peace of mind for residents, but it also allows families to be in the moment and enjoy life with them again as their son, daughter, husband, wife, sister, and/or brother instead of their caregiver.
Contact a community near you for more information on assisted living at GenCare Lifestyle, or schedule a tour today!