April 17, 2023
Never Too Old to Make New Friends: Activities for Seniors to Connect and Thrive
As we age, it can become more challenging to make new friends. However, research suggests that participating in hobbies and activities can increase our social connections, and improve our mental and physical health, and overall quality of life. Here are some ideas for hobbies and activities that can help older adults make new friends:
- Join a local book club: Book clubs can be a great way to connect with others who share similar interests. Whether you are passionate about mysteries, historical fiction, memoirs, or something else, there is likely a book club in your community that is looking for new members.
- Take a fitness class: Exercise is not only good for our physical health but can also help improve our mood and reduce stress. Taking a fitness class, such as yoga, Pilates, or dance, can be a fun way to get moving and meet new people.
- Volunteer in your community: Volunteering is a great way to give back to your community while also meeting new people. Whether you prefer working with animals, children, or local organizations, there are likely many ways that you can get involved and make a difference.
- Try a new hobby: Whether it is painting, photography, or gardening, trying a new hobby can be a fun and rewarding way to meet new people and learn new skills.
- Explore and Travel: Travel is an amazing way to get out of your comfort zone, experience new cultures, and make friends. Two ways to travel and socialize are through group tours and cruiselines.
If you are interested in exploring senior living where you are surrounded by a supportive community with an array of activities that help you connect with like-minded people just like you, come experience the GenCare Lifestyle. Stop by a community in your neighborhood and enjoy a delicious meal on us, try a class, or make new friends at one of our happy hours. We welcome you anytime!